Welcome to episode 12 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! In this week’s episode we have a very special guest, Mitch Gill, joining us to discuss some methods and strategies coaches can use to better prepare our athletes! Mitch is the Head Athletic Trainer at Dacula High School in the Atlanta, GA area but also has a background in S&C, so his unique skill set should be helpful for you to hear!
4:00 – 8:00: Mitch Gill Bio & Background
- Mitch’s path to becoming the head Athletic Trainer and Strength & Conditioning Coach at Dacula High School in Atlanta, GA.
8:00 – 20:00: Common Trends in High School Athlete Preparation
- The issues with early sport specialization.
- How neglecting the basics can get kids hurt.
- Why body awareness is key for young athletes.
- Should kids train to a 1 rep max?
- Why overuse injuries such as patellar tendinitis are at an all-time high.
20:00 – 45:00: Combining Athletic Training with Strength & Conditioning
- How Mitch got his opportunity to coach strength & conditioning.
- The benefit of having an athletic training background in the weight room.
- The hardest part about wearing both hats for his school.
- Is balancing both jobs sustainable?
- Why Mitch started a blog.
- A rant about social media in the weight room.
45:00 – 59:00: Buy or Sell AND The Fire Round
- Mitch weighs in on a series of topics including crossfit and the Falcons Super Bowl chances.
- We throw Mitch into the fire round to answer questions such as the hotly debated subject of ketchup on hot dogs.