Welcome to episode 13 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! In this week’s episode we’re joined by John Papp, power lifter and strength coach from Detroit, Michigan! John has tasted his fair share of industry success as a lifter, coach and writer at the young age of 23, so we wanted to pick his brain on some of the steps he took to get to a comfortable position in his career! Check out the show notes below for an outlook on what to expect in episode 13!
5:00 – 14:00: John Papp Bio & Background
- How John started coaching when he was just 15.
- Working for free at Xceleration Fitness while still in college.
- Building a brand through writing for online publications such as STACK.com and FitnessRX.
14:00 – 27:00: Why Having a “Niche” is BS
- Why you should treat everyone like an athlete.
- How to help ALL people achieve their fitness goals.
- Even the best in the business train “regular people”.
27:00 – 41:00: Entering the Fitness Industry at an Early Age
- Getting into the industry by any means necessary.
- Avoiding the college party scene.
- Doing whatever it takes to make an impression.
- Has John’s age ever been a disadvantage?
- Having an abundance mindset.
41:00 – 56:00: John’s Personal Training and Nutrition Philosophy
- Combining powerlifting and bodybuilding for major gains.
- Not subscribing to any one nutrition philosophy.
- John’s goals for the rest of the year.
56:00 – 1:02:00: The Fire Round
- John answers a series of questions including whether or not he could sink a free throw to win the NBA Championship and if he puts ketchup on hot dogs.