Welcome to episode 16 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! This week’s show features Matt Keeney, an entrepreneur & gym owner from Ohio who used his tough upbringing, weightlifting and sports to dream, visualize, engineer and put his plans into action! It’s an amazing story, you do not want to miss this.
7:00 – 15:00: MATT KEENEY BIO & BACKGROUND
- Using sports to escape a tough upbringing.
- Playing college football.
- Landing the local dream job after college, only to find that at 32 he was left wanting more.
15:00 – 33:00: STARTING A MOBILE FITNESS COMPANY
- How coaching 2-3 Crossfit classes per week evolved into a full business.
- Taking Cory Gregory’s advice and “just going for it”.
- Buying a truck, trailer, and gym equipment to lead group classes in a parking lot.
- Hosting classes at 3:45 AM for the local high school teachers.
- Building a strong team that coaches 40-50 classes per month.
33:00 – 41:00: MATT’S FIRST GYM
- How mobile fitness paved the way for Matt’s first brick & mortar gym.
- Putting his classes under a roof to endure the cold winter and maintain his clientele.
- Establishing a strong presence in the community to further build a brand.
- Making Crossfit-style training more safe and accessible to the public.
41:00 – 49:00: MATT’S CURRENT TRAINING & NUTRITION
- Using Anabolic Fasting by Cory Gregory to stay lean and strong year-round.
- Rotating between bodybuilding, powerlifting, and crossfit throughout the year and setting big goals along the way.
49:00 – 54:00: THE FIRE ROUND
- Matt answers a series of random questions including his favorite kids’ movie and the best piece of advice a coach has ever given him.