Welcome to episode 18 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! This week’s show covers some personal updates from Justin & Kevin, plus some info on how you can avoid or bounce back from a burnout period in your life/career.
0:00 – 10:00: Catching Up with Justin and Kevin
- The optimism surrounding Houston sports.
- Update on Justin’s surgery rehab.
- Justin’s upcoming New York trip (with no wife and kids!).
10:00 – 56:00: How to Deal with Burnout
- Kevin shares that he’s currently feeling burned out in his situation.
- Everyone experiences burnout, even if they don’t show it.
- Justin’s physical “rut” due to back surgery.
- You only have a finite amount of “fucks” to give.
- Kevin’s looming decision with his engineering career.
- Why focusing on the results more than the process causes issues.
- Transitioning from a “learning” phase to an “action” phase.
- Side rant on fitness writers and trainers who don’t lift.
- Avoiding jealousy and comparing yourself to others.
- “Why not me?” instead of “why him?”
- Looking at what others have accomplished as an opportunity.
- How to fight self-doubt.
- The road to mastery is a series of plateau.
56:00 – 1:07:00: Justin Announces His New Gym!
- Justin will be opening his gym in Indianapolis on December 4th.
- The long road to making this gym a reality.