Welcome to episode 19 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! This week’s show features special guest, Erica Suter, a strength coach from Baltimore who joins use to talk about youth sports, youth training, women in the S&C field and more!
6:00 – 9:00: Erica Suter Bio & Background
- Erica’s role as a strength & conditioning coach, youth soccer coach, and fitness blogger.
- How Erica transitioned from training the general public to working directly with athletes.
9:00 – 43:00: The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Youth Training
- Why we all love working with youth athletes.
- Kids are extremely impressionable, which can be a pro or con.
- The dynamic between strength coaches and sport coaches.
- Should kids (or people in general) be pushed to their limit every workout?
- Avoiding the common mistakes of misinformation and misapplication.
- Properly training pros and adults to get the message across to kids.
- Why sport specific training is not the answer.
- Starting with the absolute basics like skipping, crawling, walking, etc.
- Schools no longer have PE classes?!
43:00 – 56:00: What It’s Like Being a Woman in the Fitness Industry
- Encouraging women to get strong.
- Biggest advantage/disadvantage of being a woman in fitness.
- Should men be trained different than women?
56:00 – 1:02:00: The Fire Round
- Erica answers a series of random questions including the worst pickup line she’s ever heard and what her DJ name would be.