Welcome to episode 19 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! This week’s show features special guest, Sal Di Stefano, co-host of the MindPump Media Podcast dropping knowledge on how to truly build a brand in the fitness industry and beyond.
4:00 – 8:00: Sal Di Stefano Bio & Background
- Sal’s humble beginnings as an 18-year-old personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness.
- Sal’s history managing and opening health clubs.
8:00 – 42:00: Building the Mind Pump Brand
- The origins of the Mind Pump Podcast (and brand).
- The raw, no-nonsense attitude that fueled the podcast.
- How taking shots at Crossfit took the Podcast to another level.
- Why “finding your flavor” is important for success in any field.
- Tips from Sal for building a successful podcast- including sound quality and connecting with other podcasters.
- The principles that work for “old media” also work for “new media.”
- Why 1000 real followers are more valuable than 1 million fake followers.
- The future of Mind Pump Media.
42:00 – 58:00: Buy or Sell
- Sal weighs in on a number of controversial fitness topics including IIFYM, body part splits, and marijuana for athletes.
58:00 – 1:05:00: Sal’s Personal Training and Nutrition
- Sal discusses how he has shifted his training and nutrition philosophy from a purely aesthetics-driven standpoint to a healthier approach.
1:05:00 – 1:08:00: The Fire Round
- Justin and Kevin hit Sal with a series of random questions including one song he knows all the lyrics to and his first AOL screen name.