Welcome to episode 22 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! This week’s show features special guest, Reed Shelger, the owner of Paradigm Training Center in Houston, Texas. Reed is also a Wim Hof Method Master Trainer, so listen as we dive deep into fitness industry success tips and lessons learned from the Wim Hof Method.
0:00 – 6:00: Kevin & Justin Update + Intro
- Kevin’s attempt at ninja training.
- Update on Justin’s gym.
6:00 – 28:00: Reed Shelger talks Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, and Gym Ownership
- How wrestling in college at UC Davis peaked Reed’s interest in MMA.
- The origins of Paradigm Training Center.
- How Reed balanced a full-time consulting job with gym ownership for 7 years.
- The factors (including Wim Hof) that led Reed to leave his consulting job in September.
- Challenges that Paradigm faced including high turnover and selfish coaches.
- Plans for the future of Paradigm including new recovery methods and more accessible memberships.
- Appealing to the “Joe Rogan” crowd of fitness.
28:00 – 53:00: Breathing, Yoga, and Ice Baths with Wim Hof
- Why a bit of discomfort is good in today’s comfortable society.
- The benefits of cold therapy including weight loss and improved cardiovascular health.
- How proper breathing increases performance and improves body awareness.
- Why athletes need to prioritize their recovery.
- Crazy stories from Reed’s weekend with Wim Hof.
- Learning that the body is capable of so much more than we realize.
- How people can immediately incorporate the Wim Hof Method into their training.
- Reed’s most significant physical, mental, and emotional takeaways from practicing the Wim Hof Method.
53:00 – 1:01:00: The Fire Round
- Reed answers a series of random questions including his best Urijah Faber story (you don’t want to miss this).