Welcome to episode 26 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! This week we host Kelvin King Jr. on the show to discuss ALL things exercise variations! Who, what, when, where and why to use them. Stream the show below.
1:00 – 9:00: Kelvin King Jr. Bio & Background
- Kelvin’s experience at Norfolk State University, where he found his passion for strength & conditioning.
- How training with limited equipment early on sparked Kelvin’s creativity.
9:00 – 17:00: Working Full-Time + Training
- How Kelvin manages a full-time job with coaching, writing, and family.
- How Kelvin wound up cleaning gym equipment early in his career.
- Inching toward jumping into training for a career.
17:00 – 30:00: Creating Unique Content
- Kelvin’s process for writing articles for T Nation and STACK.
- How Kelvin handles rejection and criticism.
- The work that goes on behind-the-scenes when creating content.
- How Kelvin got his name out in the industry prior to writing for major publications.
30:00 – 1:02:00: Exercise Variations
- How Kelvin creates unique variations for common exercises.
- Where Kelvin finds motivation for new exercises.
- The importance of giving credit to the proper sources.
1:02:00 – 1:10:00: The Fire Round
- Kelvin answers a series of random questions (and gest stumped a few times).