Welcome to episode 28 of the Saved By The Barbell Podcast! This week we bring on Tim DiFrancesco, former Lakers S&C coach and owner of TD Athlete’s Edge, to talk about how he & his team are helping athletes around the globe find their edge!
Stream and check out the show notes below.
3:00 – 15:00: The Road to the NBA
- Tim outlines his sports medicine and athletic training background.
- Tim’s journey to becoming the Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, including a cross-country move to work for their D League affiliate in Bakersfield.
- Tim’s mindset walking into the locker room for the first time.
15:00 – 35:00: Working with the Lakers
- Dealing with the crazy turnover in pro sports from a training standpoint.
- Avoiding the temptation to make an athlete “better”, and focus on making them more “prepared”.
- Putting your ego aside and letting athletes be athletes.
- The difference between coaching younger rookies and more experienced veterans.
- Was Kobe in “Mamba Mode” at all times?
- What happened the first time Tim met Kobe.
35:00 – 57:00: TD Athletes Edge
- Why Tim ultimately decided to leave the Lakers.
- Tim’s mission at TD Athletes Edge- to give athletes, of all levels, the tools necessary to succeed.
- Tim’s new facility outside of Boston and his training style.
- The overlooked similarities between training professional athletes and the general public.
- How social media has sensationalized professional athletes’ training routines.
- Good and bad trends in the fitness industry.
- Properly managing recovery.
57:00 – 1:07:00: Advice for Setting Goals
- Tim answers a series of random questions including the biggest savage he’s worked with in the weight room and his best Kobe Bryant story.