This week, Kevin and Justin welcome their good friend Cory Carpenter on the show for a wide-ranging chat about entrepreneurship. Cory started his fitness self-employment journey about two years ago, and in that time has trained many clients in-person and online and started a clothing brand- all while still working a full-time job. The guys discuss Cory’s initial steps into entrepreneurship, his transition to working part-time, and how he embodies the FWYH lifestyle.
2:00 – 13:00: Cory Carpenter Background (and Just Talkin’ Shop)
- What Cory was doing prior to entering the fitness industry.
- Going to college, getting a “normal” job, and following the “typical” path.
- Why it’s important to take the time to look around every once in a while and see how far you’ve come.
- How all of our wives’ bring us back to reality.
- Cory and the 4 AM crew don’t watch TV!
13:00 – 25:00: Getting Started
- Cory’s first trip to Old School Gym.
- When Cory Gregory made him realize that his dreams weren’t that outrageous.
- The importance of starting with learning- personal development, training knowledge, etc.
- Why starting small (instead of making a drastic jump) is more realistic and attainable for most people.
25:00 – 48:00: Transitioning to Part-Time Employment
- Reverse engineering the process to reach your long-term goals.
- Strategically transitioning rather than making an abrupt jump.
- Opening doors to new ventures as you get deeper into the process.
- Time is the most valuable asset.
- The importance of reinvesting in your business.
- The things that get you to Point A aren’t the same things that will get you to Points B, C, D.
- Showing people the person behind the account.
48:00 – 1:01:00: The Old School Mindset
- The impact Old School Gym and Cory Gregory has had on Cory.
- How each of the guys make each other better in and outside of the gym.
- Cory G’s statement to be the most impactful person in the industry.
- Great leaders develop other leaders.
- Cory’s personal training goals.
- How the competitive environment at OSG brings the best out of the guys.
1:01:00 – 1:10:00: The Fire Round
- Cory answers a series of random questions including the best piece of advice Cory G has ever given him and his first AOL instant messenger screen name.